we made these blueberry scones following the recipe from kids are vegan too. (i trust that if a picky kid likes a food, usually most all people will like them too.) using frozen blueberries helps in keeping the berries from getting squished while you mix them in. as you can see i got carried away with mixing the batter anyway, and they ended up really purple. they’re great either way!
make sure to follow the directions as written, because the dough is very thick and will be hard to alter if you forget to add in something.
- sift together 1 cup flour, 3 tbsp sugar, and 1 1/2 tsp baking powder.
- mix in 1/2 cup frozen blueberries.
- pour in 3 tbsp oil and 1/4 cup non-dairy milk. (we use unsweetened soy for baking.)
- stir until just combined, then divide into four equal pieces and place on a greased baking pan. i also sprinkled some cinnamon on the tops!
- bake at 425F for 12 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottoms.
serve at a great breakfast! the recipe makes four scones, i doubled it and they turned out lovely.
Photos by Rodolfo Gonzalez, Jay Janner, Ricardo B. Brazziell AMERICAN-STATESMAN and Terry Hagerty BASTROP ADVERTISER
Fire crews continue to battle several fires across Central Texas Tuesday. Winds are expected to be lighter today, but low humidity could help flames spread quickly, forecasters say. There is no chance of rain.
Two Hundred Campbell’s Soup Cans - Andy Warhol, 1962